Hospitality

I think opening your home (or hospitality, if you wanna get fancy) is important. It's an easy, cheap, relaxed (in theory) way to love people. 

At Bible Study one week, I told a girl ("girl" as in, mid 30's) that we were having two new families from the church over for dinner that night. First she said, "And you're HERE?" and second she asked, "Do you feel like you have to have people over because you're the youth pastor's wife and everything?" To which I responded with a blank stare and a "Uhhh maybe, but not really. No, I don't think so." Something to chew on.

I turn into a complete Loony Bird before I have people over. I plan, I clean, I sweat, I fuss at my husband, I hide all the toys an hour before people come so that Messy Miss can't demolish my house. I walk around in circles dramatically saying, "This is just like, NOT MY FORTE."

We've had a handful of people over in the last 4 months. Youth leaders, the high school breakfast club, "Those 2 families" (see above) and a play date. I'm slowly getting better at my "Let's host people!" routine, but I still turn into a nut case for at least the entire day a few hours. 

Have a I mentioned that I'm an introvert? With a capital I? After our company leaves, I have to sit in a chair and stare at the wall for at least an hour. It wipes me OUT.

In the end,

Everything I learned about hospitality, I learned from my parents

My Ma set a great example of having people in our home (And I'm not just saying that because Mother's Day is in a week. Winky face) People often came for Sunday lunch, but at other times too. To borrow The Nester's saying, my Mom knew that "It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful". The floor doesn't have to sparkle, the pile of papers can stay on the counter and the food doesn't have to be 5 Star (although it always was). From her I learned to smile, greet people warmly and to show an interest in their lives. In the end, it's what they'll remember.

But in all fairness, my Mom is an extrovert. With a capital, shiny, sparkly E.
She's also a dreamer and free spirit.

My Dad is into planning ahead (Can two people be any more opposite? No. The answer is no.) From him I learned to plan my meal wisely- what can be made ahead of time, what can bake while you talk, which way will the food line go... and the list goes on...all in an effort to free you of any distractions, allowing you to focus solely on your guests.

So as I reluctantly (introvert) invite people into our home, I try to avoid becoming a total nut job by remembering what my parents taught me.

Now, gimme me a couple of hours, but... who wants to come over? 

Don't worry...I ironed it...

Comments

  1. LOVE this post. I'm encouraged by it, especially as I enter our new chapter and the role of YPW (youth pastor's wife...)!! Seriously, this might be one of your best. Beautifully written! :) Also did you know I bought a beautiful teal end table from the Nester at her Big Sale about a year and a half ago? It was an exciting day!
    :) SCP

    ReplyDelete
  2. GET.OUT! I read about that epic yard sale! I need a pic, please. I only recently discovered her and she's fab. If I write a good post, you write an EVEN BETTER post comment ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Anniversary

Two Weeks from Two