Road Trip

The girls (i love that) and I recently returned from our first annual Spring Break Road Trip. Some of you commented that I was brave and I'm sure others of you had words like "crazy" and "insane" float through your head. I am not brave and you know what's crazier and more insane than the road trip? 

Sitting in a small concrete house in the middle of Florida day after day and week after week. So away we went! 

Here are 5 things I learned on the trip.

1. Embrace the pit stop. I only wanted to stop once during the trip making it a 7 hour drive (pit stop included). The pit stop should be thorough and it should include food, the stretching of legs, a potty break for me (stand right here! don't touch anything! no, that's yucky!), diaper changes, the feeding of the baby and filling the car up with gas. If done correctly, this could take 45 minutes to 1 hour. The tired lady wearing the baby and directing the lady bug jammie wearing toddler in the McDonalds somewhere in Georgia? That was me. Fast is slow and slow is fast.
 Finally out of the car seat. "I feel so ALIVE"
 2. When possible, travel during nap time. There is no sweeter sound than a quiet car.
 3. Stick to the schedule. I've been known to start chatting with family members and then all of the sudden it's, "All you've eaten today is dry cheerios? Are you still wearing your jammies? I think there's a small animal living in your hair." This trip I kept meals, snacks and nap/bed times in mind.
4. Sleep in separate rooms, if possible. This should really be at the top of the list because SLEEPING IS THE BEST. The three of us slept in three different rooms and both of the girls slept more than me (We're talking 9 to 12 hours). I'm relieved thankful to report that we didn't have any meltdowns in 9 days on the road.

5. Do your laundry as you go. In the past I've waved off offers to get ahead on laundry and then I come home with 7 loads of laundry to do. On this trip I did two small loads and I hardly have any to do now that we're home.
 And an honorable mention: if you can't get the craving of a Chick fil A milkshake out of your head on Day 9, grab the donut from the passenger seat. It'll hold you over.
 My tried and true Block the Clock Method. It's not the hours that pass but the miles that you traverse.
More Road Trip pictures coming soon!

Comments

  1. Great job Mommy Kait. Hope to see you again sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Anniversary

Two Weeks from Two