A Merry Toddler Christmas

I had some lofty ideas of what Christmas decorating would be like with my 21 month (today!) old. I pictured us both oohing and ahhing over the tree, the lights and the decorations and then all coming together for a GROUP HUG.

And... cue real life 

Here she is running with the string of lights in the opposite direction. It might be tempting at first to put on your best stern Southern Grandmother voice or stern 1st grade teacher voice and say, "Um, no m'am. Lights are for trees. No m'am." But....it's Christmas and she's a toddler. It'd be a long, uphill battle for 25+ days. So, I whined a little and then packed up half of the decorations with hopes that they can reappear in ten years or less. Our tree has bald patches where ornaments once hung and nativity people are scattered through out the house. 
She liked pulling things out of the boxes for a little while. There was hope! 
And then I found her like this. It's getting framed and displayed for years to come. She inherited her Dad's disdain for decorating. Whaaaat? But she was digging the Rudolph socks. 
I found this in the midst of unpacking boxes. Love YOU, Ma! 
I emailed a video of Caris pulling on ornaments (just to watch them bounce around on the limb) to my parents and my Dad's response was, "Isn't payback great?"  

If you live with a toddler (God bless you) I hope you're able to enjoy Christmas with all of the toddler-ish-ness and for my friends who have toddlers-in-training (Not to be confused with Toddlers and Tiaras), start scouting out places to decorate that are 33 inches or higher.
Yes, that is a gingerbread dog toy

Comments

  1. Ummm. Yes. Macy is a disaster. We may have decorates without her. 3 year olds are a lot better or at least can follow directions. When Macy did get up she was immediately drawn to the nativity and threw every single piece with such strength to the ground. Our angel only had one wing now and is no longer within reach. One day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was tough enough for Tim and me to get our tree straight (it's still kind of crooked) without a little one underfoot. But I'll make sure to enjoy this calm this season and do my best to embrace the coming years of crazy/fun. :) At least I have a nativity that is crocheted, aka, practically indestructible. Keep up the good blogging! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miriam, it sounds like Caris and Macy would make great friends :) Steph, you should be fine next year- she'll be in the "cute" mobile stage. It's the NEXT year you'll have to worry about!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Anniversary

Two Weeks from Two